Survival Seeds

Thursday, December 17, 2009

cranberry salsa, jalapeno jelly, oh my eye!!!!

I have my last night of class for the semester and have been studying and doing last minute stuff like crazy. I am trying to round up enough stuff for a party and decided to take my jalapeno jelly to have with cream cheese, some fudge and was looking for something else. One of the girls at work had a cranberry salsa that was amazing so she called to get the recipe and gave it to us. I figured that that would be enough for me to bring so I was pumped about making it. I ran and got the stuff at Wal-mart and then walked off and forgot the green onions, cilantro and jalapenos so yesterday at 6:30 in the morning I realized that I had forgotten them and ran back in before work to grab them plus enough to make a double batch. We ate dinner with Matt's dad and step-mom so I was doing the finishing touches on homework stuff while they were playing Super Mario on the Wii ( great game) and when we got home I made the cranberry salsa. Put it in the cooler to chill and marinate together.

When I got up this morning I was running around like a crazy woman trying to get stuff together and I had an itch in my eye. Stupid me like the idiot busy woman that I am used my nail to scratch the rim of my eye lid and kept going.... Until I was stopped dead in my tracks by this burning sensation and started yelling "my eye is burning, my eye is burning!!!!" My poor confused husband jumped up trying to figure out what the heck was going on. (Did I mention that when I seeded the 4 jalapenos for the salsa that I was in such a hurry that I didn't wear gloves????? And although I washed my hands like four times apparently there was still some oil on my nails??????) I was jumping around, running for the saline for my contacts in the bathroom and trying to rinse my eyes out. My husband was laughing at me once I could get out what was going on and when he saw that I was okay.

So the end of this story is..... I am going to give you the recipe for the cranberry salsa. I am going to put it over cream cheese but I keep thinking that it would be good over chicken or pork... or turkey.... or anything!!!! Just one thing to keep in mind- be smart not an idiot like myself and wear gloves to do ANYTHING with peppers!!! Okay, now that that is out of the way, here is the recipe!!!

Cranberry Salsa

2 cans of whole cranberries (chopped or blended)
¼ cup green onions chopped (about 2)
2 small jalapenos chopped and seeded
½ cup sugar (or a little less)
¼ cup cilantro leaves chopped
1 tbsp ginger powder
2 tbsp lemon juice

Mix together and chill for 4 hours. Covers 3 blocks of cream cheese.

Enjoy!!!!

No comments: