Survival Seeds

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Somewhat Dill Zucchini Relish



I made a batch of regular zucchini relish. It was good, but a little sweet for our taste. I will give it to family 'cause there are lots who like it. I like a dill relish. So I decided to do some tweaking and see if I could come up with a relish that wasn't totally dill, but wasn't really sweet either.


This is what I came up with. I will continue tweaking it and see what I can do with it!

10 cups of chopped zucchini

4 1/2 to 5 cups of chopped onions

4-5 cups of green and red sweet peppers

10 tbl of salt

10 tsp celery seed

5 tsp mustard seed

5 cups sugar

4 cups white vinegar

1 tsp turmeric

4 tbl dill

Chop zucchini, onions, and peppers in food processor. Combine them in a bowl with salt and cover with water. (I used a cheese cloth in a strainer for this step..) Let set at least two hours but up to overnight. Drain, rinse and drain again. Squeeze excess water our with hands if needed. Combine remaining ingredients in large pan. Bring to simmer and add veggies. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Place in jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Process for 10 minutes in water bath canner.

1 comment:

Stef said...

Oh, yummy. How crafty you are. Someday...I keep telling myself...someday I wll be awesome canning lady....but not now.