Survival Seeds

Thursday, June 17, 2010

A new hobby that failed


Your Assignment, Should You Choose To Accept
The writing prompts for this week are:

1.) The popular girls.

2.) It happened at work.

3.) "How long until you realized you had no talent or patience for this? Tell the story (true or fiction) of trying to learn a new talent or hobby that you only pursued briefly."

4.) "Who first told you that it's not nice to stare? Write about a time you stared when you maybe shouldn't have, or a time when sometime stared at you."

5.) Describe a happy reunion.

So pick one, head over to Mama Kat's and link up!

The failed hobby....

I was taking my sister-in-law to her hunter's safety course, and those suckers are long. Like over eight hours long. And this time we had an extremely large turn out so they had to move us to a different building so that took forever. Since it was a Saturday no one wanted to answer their phones.

So we get into the building, two hours late, and they start the class. We are in an auditorium now. Not exactly what I had planned on when I was thinking that we were going to be in a classroom. But I was going to make the best of it.

I had gone to our local Wal*Mart and bought a kit and some yarn. I was going to learn how to knit. I had eight hours so surely I could teach myself in eight hours right? I had already taught myself to cross stitch reading instructions and stuff on the Internet so I was pumped to learn to knit.

I read through it all and think that I know what I am going to do. So am crossing one leg so I have a "desk" to rest the book on and get started. It is telling me to do seven stitches and is showing me how to do them. I finish those stitches and am so proud of myself. Then comes the time to make the second row of stitches. You have to do the opposite of what you just did as well as hook into the row below.... That is when it started getting bigger. I figured that when it was washed it would all even out. So I went to the next row and it got even bigger. I tried this multiple times and it was the same thing every time, I was miscounting and just couldn't get it. So I pulled the stitches out, pouted and actually had to listen to the lecture over hunters safety.
I have tried to pick it up a couple more times with the same results so I have decided until I can find someone to sit and help me, I will not be knitting any time soon!

5 comments:

Beth Zimmerman said...

I can't imagine trying to teach yourself to knit! My grandmother tried to teach me with much the same results as yours though so maybe it's just knitting! :)

dusty earth mother said...

You are so right! It takes someone to sit with you and show you how--this I know because that's how I learned to knit, with a very patient friend. But don't give up--it's really fun once you get the hang of it!

Dumb Mom said...

Knitting is not my thing either. Nothing that requires nimble fingers is for me actually as I have two hands full of thumbs.

AJ said...

Don't give up on knitting! Find someone to teach you...it is really so much fun once it 'clicks'! Stopped by to say hello from another Okie!
Amy

rhonda said...

Was it one of the loops? Or the needles? I just saw a lady doing the loops on the plane and it looked super easy, she showed me how to do it.