Survival Seeds

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

More Jellies - Habanero Jelly

This is what I spent my Sunday doing and loved every minute of it!
Pretty green jalapeno jelly

Pretty orange habanero jelly!
I couldn't find a recipe that I like for habanero jelly so I came up with my own, modifying the jalapeno jelly recipe. I did add yellow and red food coloring to make it orange and love the results!
Habanero jelly
3/4 lb habaneros
2 cups apple cider vinegar
6 cups sugar
2 pouches of liquid pectin
Optional: rea and yellow food coloring
Cut the stem tops off the habaneros. I don't slice them anymore than this. I was in a hurry. Add the habaneros, vinegar and sugar to a stainless steel pan. bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Pour into a strainer that is lined with cheese cloth and let it drain. Pour back into pan and bring back to a boil. Stir in liquid pectin. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off foam and add food coloring if wanted. Ladle in jars and process in water bath canner for 10 minutes.
Makes 5 half-pints.



No comments: