Survival Seeds

Monday, December 6, 2010

Jalapeno Jelly


I have spoken about entering items in the fair and when I was putting them away I learned some interesting things. The wonderful women who judged wrote hints on the back. I will know to always leave 1/4 inch and only a 1/4, not 1/2 inch. I also had written on the back of my jalapeno jelly that it shouldn't have any fruit in the jelly. All the recipes that I could find was taking the jalapenos, pureeing them and leaving them in the jelly. So I had to come up with my own recipe for my jalapeno jelly. What a better time than Christmas time so I have others to test it out as well!!!

Jalapeno jelly

3/4 lb jalapenos
2 cups apple cider vinegar
6 cups sugar
2 pouches of liquid pectin
Optional: green food coloring

Cut the jalapenos into slices and then cut the slices in half. Add the jalapeno, vinegar and sugar to a stainless steel pan. bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Pour into a strainer that is lined with cheese cloth and let it drain. Pour back into pan and bring back to a boil. Stir in liquid pectin. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off foam and add food coloring if wanted. Ladle in jars and process in water bath canner for 10 minutes.

Makes 5 half-pints.

No comments: