Survival Seeds

Friday, October 22, 2010

Syrups for canning fruit

I have been enjoying my peaches that I canned and I haven't tried my apples yet but I am sure that I will enjoy them this winter in making cobblers or pies. I canned them in the extra-light syrup and they are sweet enough to just open and eat but will be able to be used in other recipes as well. This is recipe to keep around for all your fruit canning needs!

Ultra-Light Syrup - ½ cup sugar & 5 cups water - yields 5 ¼ cups
Extra-Light Syrup - 1 ¼ cups sugar & 5 ½ cups water - yields 6 cups
Light Syrup - 2 1/3 cups sugar & 5 ¼ cups water - yields 6 ½ cups
Medium Syrup - 3 ¼ cups sugar & 5 cups water - yields 7 cups
Heavy Syrup - 4 ¼ cups sugar & 4 ¼ cups water - yields 7 cups
Corn Syrup - 1 ½ cups sugar, 1 cup corn syrup & 3 cups water - yields 6 cups
Honey Syrup - 1 cup sugar, 1 cup liquid honey & 4 cups water - yields 5 cups

In a stainless steel sauce pan, combine sugar, other sweetener (if using) and water. (Use amounts listed on the table for the syrup that you want to make.) Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat to low and keep warm until needed, taking care not to boil syrup down. Allow 1 to 1 ½ cups of syrup for each quart of fruit. It is best to use the lightest syrup. This allows the fruit to be used in pies or cobblers. Always check with your recipe and see what the recipe recommends you use though. Some fruits require a heavier syrup. You will be surprised how little syrup you will use.

Tomorrow I will have a recipe for canning pears! I am getting ready to go and get some to can and I can't wait to see how they turn out!

No comments: